THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USING THE “A” AND THE “ER” N-WORD? FIRST TAKE’S MAX KELLERMAN BREAKS IT DOWN

Absolutely paramount stuff from ESPN today, only covering the hottest topics in SPORTS.

ESPN’s First Take is one of the most provocative shows on TV, yet very entertaining. If you have the volume lower than normal, and can learn to enjoy Stephen A’s rants, waking up with a weekday hangover can be soothing as the combo seems to always entertain. Regardless of what you think of either personality, it is hard to deny there back and forth banter is hilarious to see unfold. Typically they #sticktosports, but today was a little different.

If you haven’t heard Dante Divincenzo recently made headlines after securing Villanova their second national championship in 3 years. The 6th man of the year in the Big East and the “Michael Jordan of Delaware” came off the bench to set the National Championship record for points off the bench, with 31.

The internet being the internet of course went deep into the twitter account to find some old tweets.

Screen-Shot-2018-04-03-at-10.45.07-AM1.png

Screen-Shot-2018-04-03-at-10.47.20-AM.pngimages.jpeg

Now, I’ll be honest, not the best look.

But I mean come on, the kid was barely teenager and after the best moment of his life, he now being forced to address questions about tweets he probably doesn’t ever remember making. None of them are acceptable, but again he was 14 and this was 2011-13′ here. Just absolutely ridiculous this even was a thing, but nonetheless we’re here discussing.

Back to First Take

Stephen A and Max were discussing the issue, and I was happy to see both are in agreement with me that this was indeed absolutely ridiculous and we as a people need to stop with this petty bullshit. These back and forth twitter fights, bringing up past issues especially 5 plus years out is just futile.

Stephen A spoke first and went on a rant (of course) downplaying the seriousness of the offensive terms used, given the context. Max spoke after and agreed.

Then things started getting a little chippy as Max, a white male mind you, started discussing the N-word and the implications around the using the term. Which was awkward to begin with.

AND THEN THIS MAN BRING UPS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE WORD WITH THE ‘A’ and the ‘ER.’

Now, does he has no right to talk about this at all? Absolutely. Did he still talk about it, like it makes a difference to a black person? Of course!

He discussed how there was a difference and we need to learn that when this does come up for whatever reason, we need to understand the intent. The way the word ends seems to somehow dent mal-intent.

OOOPS! Can’t say things like this Max, you just can’t. Puts a bad name on all of us.

Stephen A, who was calm and didn’t say much about the matter (which means he isn’t fucking around if you aren’t able to tell) politely denied this saying that black men can not and do not ‘hear’ or feel a difference.

To which Max tried to argue! What dude? This is something we just have to stay away from. I am not making light of the word, the matter, or the deeper social issues. I was just absolutely shocked to hear a white man on television try to justify something that he has now right to justify.

Crazy world social media has given us, and I love every minute of it.