I Spent The Last 2 Months Traveling With the U.S. Open Trophy

Back in March of this 2018, I was fed up. I hated my job, I hated traveling every day to the Big Apple to do something that I hated, for a company that I hated, with people that…. I actually liked the people.

I knew it was time for a change. So I did what anyone looking for a job does, and I reached out to as many people as I could saying “I hate my job, can you find me a new one please?”

After about 3 weeks of intense waiting for someone to deliver, I got the call. My aunt had a connection with a sports marketing firm, who had a short term opportunity.

Not knowing much about sports marketing, other than it was job involving something I actually enjoyed… sports… I took it. So I packed my finance bags, threw them in the dumpster and put on my sports hat.

Boy, was it a mistake.

Not that I quit the other job, I hated it, but this job was a new level of miserable. Basically, what I was tasked with doing was taking the US Open trophy around (it was fake, btw) and taking pictures with thousands of people, hoping to garner excitement for the US Open.

We went everywhere in the tri-state area you can think of. Golf Events, Car Dealerships, Sports events, popular public places, you name it. It was miserable, but there was interesting thing that came from it… the people.

Holy Shit there are some weird people in this world man.

You know there is a rumor, that back in the day they would make POW’s listen to a certain song over and over and over and over and over again. This is basically what I experienced, except it was the same corny old Dad jokes.

“Oh, thanks for bringing my trophy?”

“Can I keep it?”

“Did they forget to put my name on there?”

“How did you guys get my trophy?”

Ha ha ha.

I mean the first time you hear those, they still aren’t funny, so imagine the 500th time, sometimes up to 20 times a day. You can understand why the US Open trophy is now my least favorite thing in sports.

While the trophy was cool to some degree when I first saw it and started working with it, even if it is a replica, it has lost all of its mysticism. I am sick of the US Open trophy and just can’t wait for the tournament to come along so all those old dad jokes can be said when they show their picture to their families. It’s there problem now.

#RickiesYear