Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder battle to draw

An interesting time to be a boxing fan, 2018 is. Long gone are the days of the mega-fights featuring the Tysons, Holyfields, Bowes and Lewises of the world. In their place, we have just a handful of bouts per year to get us excited. One of these came last night, as the Bronze Bomber Deontay Wilder (40-0, 39 K.O.s) took on Tyson Fury (27-0, 19K.O.s); Wilder putting his W.B.C. title on the line versus the Lineal Heavyweight Champion Fury. (I can’t decide how I feel about the Lineal Championship. For those who don’t understand: the Lineal Title was developed due to fans unhappiness with different boxing organizations; W.B.C., I.B.F., W.B.A., etc., handling the awarding of title shots and the stripping of titles differently. So, the Lineal Championship was theorized as a way to keep track of who is currently “The Man Who Beat The Man”. Example: George Foreman was the Lineal Heavyweight Champion from 1994 to 1997, even though he was stripped of the W.B.A. and I.B.F. titles in 1995. Because no one actually beat Foreman, he was still considered the  Lineal Champion. In theory, this can be traced back decades).

It was a breath of fresh air to see a heavyweight boxing match that (some) people were legitimately excited for. Fury controlled the early rounds of the fight, his elusiveness proving too much for the heavy-swinging Wilder. Fury was methodically picking Wilder apart, but not doing any significant damage. The first example of that came in round 10, when Wilder dropped Fury to the canvas with a left hook and an awkward, back/top of the head right hand. Fury easily beat Jack Reiss’s ten count, but Wilder had some momentum, and likely a 10-8 round. Wilder proceeded to smoke Fury in round 12, leaving Fury doing the Savasana Yoga pose, before sitting up like the Undertaker and finishing the fight.

When the final bell sounded, we all knew that Fury won the fight. The only question was: Will Fury win the fight? Of course the answer was a no, due to an inexcusable scorecard  Alejandro Rochin, favoring Wilder 115-111 over Fury. 115-111! Based on the eye test alone, that score is absolutely, atrocious. When you put in under a microscope it gets even worse:

There is simply, unequivocally, absolutely no way that fight was a draw, and everyone involved knows it. This luckily includes Fury, who was in good spirits after his performance. We knew this would happen, and it did. Much like Golovkin and Alvarez, a one sided fight was scored a draw to set up a second bout. And I have news for you guys: Wilder will win the second fight, whether he deserves it or not (because Fury ain’t knocking him out, and he will surely get the decision). With the current state of boxing (call it corruption, incompetence, or both), it’s best to not even get riled up at these kind of decisions. It’s easier to be happy that we got a good fight, and be happy for the fighters that they’re walking away with millions.

Oh, and Judge Alejandro Rochin should be sent to Alcatraz.