Want To Feel Good About Yourself? Here is the New York Football Giants First Round Recap

https://twitter.com/NateasaurusMex/status/1121581963880615936As Belly Up’s resident New York Giants writer it is with HONOR that I sit here happily and write this blog. Now, a few notes to start off: I was crowned the New York Giants writer because I obviously am the best writer who is also a Giants fan. But to be even more truthful with you guys, I am the only guy on staff who is Big Blue through and through and therefore wants to write about the G Men.

Wow. *Record Scratch*

Ok. Full transparency, I wrote all of the above right after the Raiders and Bucs did notpick Josh Allen. Any reasonable fan of football could see the obvious pick for the Giants would be Josh Allen. The best player available in a position they need desperately, seems straightforward. But this is Dave Gettleman we are dealing with.

I was writing this blog with joy because in my head the Giants, for once this offseason were going to do something great, something that even makes sense. Draft Josh Allen at 6, then either trade for Josh Rosen or hopefully get a QB later in the first round at 17.

Then this nerd?

View this post on Instagram

Welcome to Big Blue, Daniel Jones!

A post shared by New York Giants (@nygiants) on

Hey let me ask a quick question. Is that really the face of a franchise quarterback? Or does it look more like a Division II Tennis Star? I can’t tell.

Quick look at my history as soon as I heard the name Daniel Jones.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.00.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 9.19.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 9.20.25 PM.pngSo how do I feel now that my world has been flipped on its head? I don’t even know what is up anymore.

Now? I am lightweight low key heartbroken. I will be honest I don’t know much about Daniel Jones, But I know enough to know that he is not Dwayne Haskins, someone who was also available at 6. I know that he looks like a prototypical QB but thats about it. This guy was projected 2nd forever! That was of course until afterthe season when his stature and demeanor shot him up the draft board. Never good when you move up after you stop playing football. There is not a ton I know, but here is what I do know.

He has an in with the Mannings.This is the one and only reason I can justify this decision from Gettleman. He knows the Mannings, he has a small history with them. So of course Dave listened to those two little voices in his head. Eli on one shoulder, Archie on the other. Dave freaked out as he was on the clock and said “uhhhh…. Mannings’ friend” just quick enough before the bell rang. Well now, here we are.

Then to see his dumb face again walk up to meet Goodell with this tie?

I mean if this isn’t a sign I don’t know what is. This is the biggest moment of your life. Fix your tie Daniel!

Then for the Second pick we have Dexter Lawrence.

I don’t know enough about him either to be honest. NOT GOOD. For someone who considers himself a big time football fan and even bigger Giants guy, I should know more about our picks. Maybe thats on me, but for the most part I didn’t consider either of these. Both of these picks seemingly came out of no where, and that does not seem like a good sign. Are we tanking, are we rebuilding, are we winning, are we giving Eli a farewell decade? No one knows and apparently no one in the draft room knows whats going on either.

I was hoping for Montez Sweat and when the Panthers passed on Sweat, I was ready for redemption. I do remember the #90 from Clemson all last season, but thats about all I got on Dexter Lawrence. So I will go off what the analysts on ESPN said. “Dexter Jones is like a poor mans Montez Sweat.” Paraphrasing a little, but essentially what they said.

Hey Dave Gettleman, I have a crazy idea then, JUST DRAFT MONTEZ SWEAT!

Heartbreaking.

I mean I can see it now, they will get the worst, and I mean the worstgrade for the first round. Overall just a horrible draft for the Giants. What a whirlwind of emotions. What I crossed out was my sincere reaction to when I thought the Giants were going to get Josh Allen. Now I am questioning if I want to watch Football again.

Here’s a meme I found that sums up the Giants Offseason.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 10.49.33 PM.png

Look, I am hoping I look back at this blog in 2-3 years and eat my own words. I sincerely hope for that. I am praying for that, but I just do not see that to be the case right now. I am don’t with football.

F minus Draft.

I am not feeling to hot right now….Goodnight.

UPDATE: Since I finished this, we traded for a 3rd pick and took Deandre Baker at 30. First good thing we did all offseason. Still doesn’t make up for Daniel Jones.

View this post on Instagram

Welcome to Big Blue, Dexter Lawrence‼️

A post shared by New York Giants (@nygiants) on

Google photo